Connect with us

Sports

Djokovic says knee operation ‘went well’

Djokovic says knee operation ‘went well’

Published

on

Djokovic says knee operation 'went well'

Novak Djokovic confirmed on Thursday he had had an operation on his right knee that he injured at the French Open and that it “went well”.

The 24-time Grand Slam winner Djokovic was forced to withdraw ahead of his Roland Garros quarter-final against Casper Ruud after a scan revealed a torn medial meniscus in his right knee.

“In the past day, I had to make some tough decisions after sustaining a meniscus tear during my last match,” he posted on social media.

“I’m still processing it all but I am happy to update you that the surgery went well.

Advertisement

“I am so appreciative of the team of doctors who have been by my side as well as the overwhelming support I have received from my fans.”

The 37-year-old made no mention of whether he would be fit to take part at Wimbledon which begins on July 1 but added that he was going to “do my best to be healthy and fit to return to the court as soon as possible”.

Djokovic withdrew from the French Open after winning a five-set match against Francisco Cerundolo and went on to blame the “slippery” Roland Garros courts for aggravating the problem.

“For the last couple weeks I have had, I would say, slight discomfort, I would call it that way, in the right knee, but I haven’t had an injury that would be concerning me at all,” Djokovic said after his record 370th win at a Grand Slam.

“I was playing a few tournaments with it, and no issues until today.”

Advertisement

The Cerundolo victory was Djokovic’s second five-setter in quick succession having come through a gruelling four-hour, 29-minute slog against Lorenzo Musetti in the third round that concluded at 3:07 am on Sunday morning, the latest finish in French Open history.

Ruud, who lost to Djokovic in last year’s final, received a walkover and will now play Alexander Zverev in the semi-finals on Friday.

Djokovic’s injury-enforced exit from the tournament means that Jannik Sinner will become Italy’s first number one in the sport next week.

For the first time since 2004, the men’s final in Paris will not feature Djokovic, Rafael Nadal or Roger Federer. 

Advertisement

Sports

Rakitic joins Hajduk Split after leaving Al-Shabab

Rakitic joins Hajduk Split after leaving Al-Shabab

Published

on

By

Rakitic joins Hajduk Split after leaving Al-Shabab

Former Croatia midfielder Ivan Rakitic is joining Hajduk Split after Saudi Pro League club Al-Shabab terminated his contract by mutual consent following a six-month spell.

The 36-year-old scored once in eight games after joining Al-Shabab in January 2024 as they finished eighth on 52 points.

“The club management agreed with the Croatian player Ivan Rakitic to terminate the contractual relationship between the two parties by mutual consent,” the Saudi club posted on the X social media platform.

Hajduk Split on Sunday announced the signing of the former Barcelona and Sevilla midfielder for one season with the option of an extra year in what will be his first campaign in Croatia.

Advertisement

Rakitic, who was born in Switzerland, played 106 games for Croatia, scoring 15 goals, and helped the country reach the World Cup final in 2018. 

Continue Reading

Sports

Croatia’s Vida retires from international football

Croatia’s Vida retires from international football

Published

on

By

Croatia's Vida retires from international football

Croatia defender Domagoj Vida has retired from international soccer after 14 years in the national team, the Croatian Football Federation said on Sunday.

Vida, 35, made his international debut in May 2010 and has played 105 matches for Croatia. He was part of the Croatia side that reached the final of World Cup 2018 and finished third in World Cup 2022.

“It is an honour to wear the most beautiful jersey in the world once in your career,” Vida said in a statement.

“And when you do it 105 times, you play in seven major competitions … then you can just be infinitely grateful for such a privilege.”

Advertisement

Former Bayer Leverkusen and Besiktas player Vida currently plays for Greek top-flight club AEK Athens. 

Continue Reading

Sports

Canada defender Collins to miss Paris 2024 soccer tournament through injury

Canada defender Collins to miss Paris 2024 soccer tournament through injury

Published

on

By

Canada defender Collins to miss Paris 2024 soccer tournament through injury

Canada defender Sydney Collins will miss the Paris 2024 women’s soccer tournament after fracturing her left leg during a training game in her first match back after suffering a similar injury to her right leg earlier this year, Team Canada said on Saturday.

Gabrielle Carle will replace Collins in Canada’s Olympic squad, while Desiree Scott will take Carle’s spot as an alternate for the Tokyo 2020 gold medallists, it said.

Collins sustained the injury on Thursday during a closed-door training match against Nigeria, her first since fracturing her right leg in February.

“Our hearts go out to Sydney during this difficult time. She has worked incredibly hard to return in time for Paris 2024, and while this is a setback, we know she will come back stronger,” said women’s national team head coach Bev Priestman.

Advertisement

“She will be with us in spirit every step of the way.

“With the depth and resilience of our roster, it’s a next-player-up mentality, and both Gabby and Desiree’s experience will be invaluable to our team’s success.”

Canada will begin the defence of their Olympic title on July 25 against Group A opponents New Zealand. 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © GLOBAL TIMES PAKISTAN