Sports
Sabalenka blasts past Paolini into Miami final

World number one Aryna Sabalenka blasted her way into the final of the Miami Open with a convincing 6-2 6-2 demolition of Italy’s Jasmine Paolini.
Sabalenka needed just 71 minutes to wrap-up her win against the sixth seed and she will now face the winner of Thursday’s other semi-final between American Jessica Pegula and wildcard Alexandra Eala.
The win earns the Belarusian, who was beaten in the Indian Wells final earlier this month by Mirra Andreeva, a place in the Miami final for the first time in her career.
“I’m super happy with the level I played today. Of course super happy to be in my first Miami Open final,” said Sabalenka.
Sabalenka was never behind against Paolini, and the match was only tied twice — at 1-1 in each set. She served six aces and broke the Italian’s serve four times,
“I definitely would say that this was one of the best matches in the season so far. I don’t know. I was just so focused on myself, on the things I had to do today.
“It felt like everything was just, like, going smoothly my way,” she said.
Sabalenka will be keen to banish the memory of defeat in the Indian Wells final and in the Australian Open final where she lost to Madison Keys.
“The lessons (of those defeats) was I believe focus on myself, not on what’s going on the other side,” she said.
“I think in those finals I was more focusing on my opponents than on myself. I think I just have to bring the same attitude, the same mindset that I had today, I think I have to bring it in the finals,” she said.
“I really feel this time I’m going to do better than I did in the last two finals,” added the 26-year-old.
She is only the sixth woman to reach the finals of both stops on the American ‘Sunshine Swing’ in the same season.
Sports
Czech teen Mensik into first Masters semi-final in Miami

MIAMI GARDENS (United States) (AFP) – Czech teenager Jakub Mensik marched into his first Masters semi-final in Miami on Thursday when he defeated France’s Arthur Fils 7-6 (7/5), 6-1.
Fils had enjoyed one of the biggest wins of his career on Wednesday when he defeated top-seed Alexander Zverev but he struggled to repeat the feat against the impressive 19-year-old Mensik.
The towering Czech’s big serve was too much for Fils, who had come through three-set battles with Frances Tiafoe and Zverev and showed signs of tiredness.
“It feels incredible. I think the biggest result so far in my career, so I’m glad I just kept going since the first round,” said Mensik.
“That’s the key, to keep the focus during the two weeks, because it’s always tough. The job is not done.”
Mensik broke out to an early 4-1 lead but then let Fils back into the contest with the 20-year-old Frenchman forcing a tie-break.
But having survived that comeback from Fils, Mensik was rock solid in the second set as he powered his way to victory in 75 minutes.
Mensik, ranked 54 in the world, will next face the winner of the quarter-final between Taylor Fritz and Matteo Berrettini later on Thursday.
In the remaining quarter-final, postponed from Wednesday, fourth-seed Novak Djokovic takes on American Sebastian Korda with the winner up against Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov.
Sports
Djokovic reaches Miami Open semis

Novak Djokovic is two wins away from capturing a 100th career title after beating Sebastian Korda 6-3 7-6(4), and world number one Aryna Sabalenka cruised into her first Miami Open final with a 6-2 6-2 victory over Jasmine Paolini on Thursday.
Djokovic let out a triumphant roar after sending down an ace on match point as the 37-year-old’s former rival and now coach Andy Murray jumped out of his seat to do the same.
The Serbian 24-times Grand Slam champion trailed Korda 5-2 in the second set but broke the American as he served at 5-3 and his precise and powerful serving carried him to the finish.
“I’ve been serving great the entire tournament but particularly today I needed it in the second to try to come back,” Djokovic told Tennis Channel.
“In the tiebreak, a couple of points really decided the winner, 5-4 service winner, ace at 6-4 to finish off the match. So I’ll take that as the highlight.”
Victory ensured that Djokovic, who turns 38 in May, became the oldest ATP Masters 1000 semi-finalist, surpassing Roger Federer, who made the final four at Indian Wells and Miami aged 37 years and seven months in 2019.
The match was originally scheduled for Wednesday but postponed under ATP rules aimed at avoiding matches dragging on into the early hours of the morning.
Fourth seed Djokovic, gunning for a record seventh Miami Open title, will face 14th-seeded Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov in the semi-finals on Friday.
Unseeded Czech Jakub Mensik was a 7-6(5) 6-1 winner over 17th-seeded Frenchman Arthur Fils and will meet American Taylor Fritz in the semis after he outlasted Italian 29th seed Matteo Berrettini 7-5 6-7(7) 7-5.
Third seeded Fritz saw six match points come and go in the second set but converted on his seventh opportunity in the decider to put away Berrettini.
Two former power houses of world soccer, former FIFA President Sepp Blatter and France soccer great Michel Platini, were cleared of corruption charges on Tuesday.
“There’s two options, get frustrated about it, lose and then be even more frustrated about all the chances I blew, or regroup and get the win,” Fritz said.
“Now I can sleep tonight.”
Sports
Vikings committed to J.J. McCarthy as starting QB after considering Aaron Rodgers, AP source says

The Minnesota Vikings have committed to moving forward with J.J. McCarthy as their starting quarterback this season after deciding not to offer Aaron Rodgers a contract, a person with knowledge of the decision said Wednesday.
The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the Vikings were not commenting publicly on their plans.
Rodgers, the four-time NFL MVP, was released last week by the New York Jets. With Pro Bowl pick Sam Darnold having departed in free agency for the Seattle Seahawks after his breakout season, the Vikings prepared to turn their offense over to McCarthy, the 10th overall pick in the 2024 draft whose rookie year was spent rehabilitating from surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. Trade inquiries from other teams for McCarthy were rejected, the person said.
Rodgers was widely reported to be interested in joining his former rival from his time with the Green Bay Packers, and Vikings leaders took their time to consider the bold move of bringing in a 41-year-old player whose ability, accomplishments and personality have the potential to alter a locker room dynamic that by all accounts contributed to Minnesota’s 14-win finish last season.
-
Business2 months ago
Finance Minister Aurangzeb discusses bilateral cooperation with Japanese envoy
-
Entertainment3 months ago
Blake Lively accuses ‘It Ends With Us’ director Justin Baldoni of harassment and smear campaign
-
Sports3 months ago
Southampton set to sign Juric as new manager
-
pakistan2 months ago
SC additional registrar submits response to show-cause notice in contempt case
-
pakistan3 months ago
Khalid Maqbool calls on Interior Minister Naqvi to discuss overall political situation
-
Sports3 months ago
Inter reach Coppa Italia quarter-finals with 2-0 win over Udinese
-
Sports2 months ago
Swiatek powers into Raducanu clash as Fritz fires Melbourne warning
-
pakistan3 months ago
PTCL confirms cable damage, resolves to swiftly address public concerns