Connect with us

Entertainment

Men’s fashion week goes live in Milan, buoyed by upbeat sales

Published

on

The return of Gucci to the menswear catwalk calendar, robust sales of Italian fashion and a farewell to the pandemic-imposed trend of virtual shows — it s all systems go for men s fashion week in Milan opening Friday.

Promising spectacle and optimism after a year in which sales of Italian fashion showed the strongest growth of the last 20 years, presentations for Fall-Winter 2023/2024 men s collections run until Tuesday.

Of the 79 shows, only four are digital, a holdover from the debilitating pandemic period that sent sales plunging and brought a halt to live runway shows.

Nothing replaces “the live experience, the frenzy, the expectation, the applause, the top models parading on the catwalk and the powerful music,” fashion consultant Elisabetta Cavatorta told AFP.

Most anticipated is fashion powerhouse Gucci which is putting on a menswear only show for the first time in three years.

Advertisement

It will also be the first since artistic director Alessandro Michele s surprise departure in November.

New direction at Gucci?
With bold, colourful collections seeped in the 1970s, Michele provided a new lease on life after being tapped in 2015 to revive sales at the storied brand with the world-famous stripe logo in green and red.

While sales exploded by 44 percent in 2018 for Kering s flagship brand, growth has lagged competitors in the last two years.

“It remains to be seen whether Alessandro Michele s departure initiates a change of direction for the fashion house,” Cavatorta said.

Alessandro Michele left Gucci in November and a successor to the artistic director has not yet been named

Advertisement

As to who will take over the reins at Gucci, the fashion world awaits news of Michele s successor with bated breath.

Soaring revenues

Armani, Prada, Fendi, Dolce & Gabbana and Zegna are among the big labels set to unveil men s collections in the Italian fashion capital.

But there have been defections including Versace, which plans to show its men s and women s collections together in Los Angeles on March 10.

Despite the war in Ukraine and the impact of the energy crisis on an energy-intensive fashion supply chain, sales of Italian fashion last year rose 16 percent to 96.6 billion euros ($104.4 billion).

Advertisement

Big labels like Giorgio Armani have answered the call for live men s shows at Milan Fashion Week

“This is the highest revenue in the last 20 years,” said Carlo Capasa, president of the Italian Fashion Chamber, at a presentation ahead of the shows last month.

Inflation has had an impact, as Italian fashion prices rose by about nine percent in 2022, but their increase is “a positive sign that closes a year marked by dramatic events and difficult times,” Capasa added.

Exports of “Made in Italy” fashion climbed 18.7 percent in the first nine months of last year, driven by demand in the United States and the Gulf countries where exports both soared by more than 50 percent.

Sales to China grew more moderately, at 18.8 percent, while exports to Russia fell by 26 percent, in the wake of the invasion of Ukraine.

Advertisement

But one area in which the impact of the Covid-19 crisis will still be felt in Milan is the absence of Chinese buyers.

Despite the lifting of coronavirus-related health restrictions by authorities in Beijing, the number of buyers who will travel to the city for the shows will be “limited”, Capasa said.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. camisetas de baloncesto Detroit Pistons

    February 23, 2023 at 5:13 pm

    I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and
    also with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or
    did you modify it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent
    quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one
    today.
    comprar camisetas de fútbol baratas

  2. demo slot bonanza

    February 28, 2023 at 1:52 am

    My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was totally
    right. This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine
    just how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Entertainment

It’s all up to Allah – Salman Khan reacts to death threats

Published

on

By

Salman Khan has reacted to the repeated death threats from gangster Lawrence Bishnoi.

The Bollywood megastar addressed the threats during a promotional event for his upcoming film Sikandar.

He said: “It’s all up to God, Allah. What is written is written. That’s all.”

Salman acknowledged the challenges created by the heightened security cover provided to him after the threats and the shooting near his apartment.

He added: “Sometimes, having to move around with so many people becomes a problem. “Galaxy, shoot, shoot Galaxy. No detours.”

Advertisement

Salman Khan has faced several attempts on his life. In April 2024, two men on a motorcycle fired several shots outside Galaxy Apartments in Bandra, where the actor lives.

The investigation later revealed that the shooting was aimed to intimidate the actor and was carried out on the instructions of gangster Lawrence Bishnoi.

The gangster, who is in prison in Gujarat, is enraged with Salman Khan over the 1998 blackbuck shooting case, in which he was accused.

The Bishnoi community holds blackbucks sacred. After the death of politician Baba Siddique in October 2024, the Bishnoi gang claimed responsibility and issued a warning to Salman.

Talking about filming Sikandar, Salman revealed filming had to take place with a heavy security presence.

Advertisement

Salman said that even though it was a tough shoot in terms of planning so many outdoor locations, it all went well.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Jayasuriya shares pic breaking fast with Muslim friends

Published

on

By

Former Sri Lankan captain and cricket legend Sanath Jayasuriya observed a fast with his Muslim friends and shared an Iftar photo on social media.

A Buddhist by faith, Jayasuriya revealed that he has been fasting for a day every Ramazan since his school days to experience the spirit of the month alongside his Muslim friends, keeping this tradition alive for years.

Sharing a picture on X (formerly Twitter), he wrote:
“Fasted today with my Muslim friends—this is a small tradition I have followed since my school days during Ramadan.”

Fans from around the world praised the cricket legend for his gesture of inclusivity.

One user commented: “Wonderful, Sanath! It’s amazing how you’ve kept this beautiful tradition alive with your friends. Ramazan is a time for reflection and unity. As a Sinhalese who grew up in a Muslim village, I truly cherish those days.”

Advertisement

Jayasuriya’s gesture is a remarkable example of religious harmony and mutual respect, further earning him admiration from his fans.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

Internet abuzz with similarities between Kohli, Ertugrul

Published

on

By

Social media is abuzz with similarities between the looks of Virat Kohli and Turkish actor Cavit Çetin Günîr’s, who plays Doğan Bey in Diriliş: Ertuğrul.

Indian cricket icon Virat Kohli has once again become a trending topic on social media, but this time, it has nothing to do with his performances on the pitch. Instead, fans have been captivated by the uncanny resemblance between Kohli and Turkish actor Cavit Çetin Günîr, best known for portraying Doğan Bey in the historical drama Diriliş: Ertuğrul.

What started as a casual observation on Reddit soon snowballed into a viral discussion, with fans flooding social media platforms with memes and witty comparisons. The online buzz not only reignited interest in celebrity lookalikes but also underscored the vast global appeal of both Kohli and Diriliş: Ertuğrul.

The internet frenzy began when a Reddit user posted a screenshot of Günîr in character as Doğan Bey, accompanied by the caption: “Anushka Sharma’s husband’s TV show debut.” The post swiftly gained traction, amassing thousands of reactions and comments from amused fans.

One user shared their astonishment, stating, “Dont tell me he is NOT Virat but someone else. Damn!!!”.

Advertisement

Another quipped, “The first time I saw this Doğan Bey character in Ertuğrul, I genuinely thought, ‘What’s Kohli doing in a Turkish series?’ The resemblance is scary.”

Cavit Çetin Günîr rose to prominence through his role in Diriliş: Ertuğrul, a series created by Mehmet Bozdağ that aired between 2014 and 2019. The show, which chronicles the life of Ertuğrul Bey—the father of Osman I, the founder of the Ottoman Empire—became a global sensation, particularly in South Asia, where it garnered a massive fan base.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © GLOBAL TIMES PAKISTAN