Connect with us

Sports

McIlroy plays down storm in a ‘tee’ cup with Reed

Published

on

McIlroy plays down storm in a 'tee' cup with Reed

The feud between two of the world s top golfers continued Wednesday with Rory McIlroy saying he did “not feel the need to acknowledge” Patrick Reed, who reportedly threw a tee towards the world number one on the practice range of the Dubai Desert Classic.

The incident, which occurred on Tuesday and was first reported by Spanish website TenGolf, saw Reed apparently standing behind McIlroy while he was hitting balls.

When McIlroy did not turn and speak to him, Reed left and threw a tee on the ground in anger.

The two have been at odds since McIlroy criticised players, including Reed, who joined the Saudi-backed LIV Golf circuit, although McIlroy played down the incident.

Advertisement

“It was nothing,” the 33-year-old told a press conference.

“Patrick came up to say hello and I didn t really want him to. From my recollection, that was it. I didn t see a tee. I didn t feel a tee.

“Obviously, someone else saw that. But it s definitely a storm in a teacup. I can t believe it s actually turned into a story.

“I didn t see him. I was down by my bag and he came up to me, and I was busy working and sort of doing my practice, and I didn t really feel the need to acknowledge him.

“I didn t see a tee coming in my direction at all but apparently that s what happened.

Advertisement

“And if roles were reversed and I d have thrown that tee at him, I d be expecting him to bring a lawsuit,” added McIlroy who was served a subpoena by Reed to appear as a witness in his case against the Golf Channel, Brandel Chamblee and the PGA Tour.

“I was subpoenaed by his lawyer on Christmas Eve,” said four-time major champion McIlroy.

“I was trying to have a nice time with my family and someone shows up on your doorstep and delivers that, you re not going to take that well.

“You can t pretend like nothing s happening, right?

“So again, I m living in reality. I don t know where he s living. If I were in his shoes, I wouldn t expect a hello or a handshake.”

Advertisement

Wheels in motion

McIlroy said he felt mentally drained towards the end of last season because of everything going on outside the ropes, supporting the PGA Tour against the rise of LIV Golf.

“On reflection, I felt like I needed to take on quite a lot,” said McIlroy.

“But I think getting the wheels in motion of how hopefully the new system and the new structure of professional golf will be, it took a lot of effort last year.

“But now those wheels are in motion and we just have to try to tidy up the schedule for 2024. But I feel like most of the heavy lifting was done last year.”

Advertisement

McIlroy is in Dubai to start his new season as the world number one.

Last year, he narrowly missed the title when he dumped his second shot on the 72nd hole into the water guarding the par-five green, and the resulting bogey forced him to miss the play-off by one shot.

Viktor Hovland prevailed on the first extra hole against Richard Bland.

“I ve had a lot of great memories and success over the years in the Emirates but feel like I have a little bit of unfinished business with how the tournament ended for me last year. (It) Wasn t quite the way I wanted to finish it off,” said McIlroy, who won his first title as a professional at the event in 2009.

“But I went on from that week and played really well and had a great year.

Advertisement

“It s been nice to try to take a little bit of time away and try to distance myself from the game of golf for at least a month or two, and recharge and reset and try to start 2023 with renewed optimism, a full tank and ready to go.” 

Sports

Klopp won’t let Liverpool flops feel sorry for themselves

Published

on

By

Jurgen Klopp has warned struggling Liverpool there is no room for “self-pity” as he fights to stop their troubled season spiralling further out of control.

Klopp’s side head to relegation-threatened Wolves on Saturday languishing in ninth place in the Premier League after one win in their past six games in all competitions.

The Reds, currently 10 points adrift of the top four, also crashed out of the FA Cup fourth round at Brighton last weekend, ending their defence of the trophy.

After that painful stoppage-time defeat on the south coast, Klopp drew attention to the unhappy body language of some of his players, who came close to winning a historic quadruple last season.

Advertisement

Liverpool defender Andy Robertson has admitted the campaign deteriorated after the World Cup break.

But Klopp, who still hopes to salvage the season, is determined to stop his squad feeling sorry for themselves.

“Self-pity is not allowed in these moments,” he said. “We are human beings and know these moments when you think ‘Oh my God, everything is going against me’.

“There’s only one person who can change that really and it’s yourself. These kind of things can happen and will happen in the future as well, but it’s about limiting the time to get back on track.”

Publicly at least, Klopp has no answers for the poor form of Virgil van Dijk, Mohamed Salah, Jordan Henderson and Fabinho, among others.

Advertisement

But the German believes the situation can be turned around, pointing to the recent resurgence of Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford after a poor period for his club.

“We all see that some players didn’t exactly reach the level they reached for us consistently over four or five or six years. That’s not unusual, it happens to other players as well,” Klopp said.

“One of the best examples ever probably will be Marcus Rashford. The season he had last year and the season he has this year, I’m not sure he can really explain it. Now he is flying. That’s how it goes.

“The times in between these two extremes we have to use and go through it and fight through it.

“You have to get through this and the players I know, my players, they will go through that and show again how good they are.” 

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Sports

‘He’ll play’: Nagelsmann calls out PSG mind games over Mbappe

Published

on

By

BayernMunich coach Julian Nagelsmann said on Friday he thinks Kylian Mbappe will play for Paris Saint-Germain in the first leg of their Champions League tie, accusing the French club of “playing poker”.

PSG announced on Thursday that the star forward would miss “up to three weeks” with a thigh injury, ruling him out of the February 14 clash in the French capital.

“I don’t think he’ll be out,” Nagelsmann said, claiming the Ligue 1 champions had given a speculative diagnosis of the star’s condition.

“I don’t know what he’s got, (but) I assume he’s playing.

Advertisement

“What it says on the website is vague. If it’s not a structural injury, I can’t imagine him missing the game, but I don’t know.

“I am preparing for the game as if he is going to play.”

Mbappe, who has 25 goals for PSG this season including seven in the Champions League, was replaced in the 21st minute of his team’s 3-1 win over Montpellier on Wednesday.

Alongside Mbappe, both Neymar and Sergio Ramos are currently under fitness clouds for the French side, but both should be fit in time for the clash with Bayern.

Nagelsmann’s side have injury concerns of their own, with the long-term absences of goalkeeper Manuel Neuer, wing-back Noussair Mazraoui and defender Lucas Hernandez.

Advertisement

Forward Sadio Mane has been out since November but has returned to training, although he won’t feature at the Parc des Princes.

“I am expecting him back in the middle or at the end of February,” Nagelsmann said.

“It looks good and he has no more pain. But he’ll miss the first leg against Paris.”

With six wins from six matches Bayern are unbeaten in the Champions League this season, but have drawn their past three league matches ahead of Sunday’s clash with Wolfsburg.

Bayern currently sit in first place in the Bundesliga, but are just one point clear of Union Berlin.

Advertisement

A further three teams — RB Leipzig, Borussia Dortmund and Freiburg — are within one win of the 31-time Bundesliga winners. 

Continue Reading

Sports

Cockerill confident England will match Scots’ passion

Published

on

By

England forwards coach Richard Cockerill says the English will have no trouble matching Scotland’s “passion” when they face their oldest rivals in the Six Nations at Twickenham on Saturday.

Scotland are always keen to get the better of England in a fixture dating back to 1871.

The desire will be even more potent given the latest chapter of the rivalry comes on the opening weekend of the Six Nations.

But Cockerill, who lives in Edinburgh having previously been in charge of the Scottish capital club, said the hosts would have plenty of emotional fuel themselves as they try to beat Scotland for the first time since 2020.

Advertisement

“I can assure you that, tomorrow, we will have enough passion to match the Scots’ passion. Then it will be down to who plays the best rugby,” Cockerill told reporters on Friday.

Cockerill, capped 27 times by England, added: “When I was a player, it was the rivalry and realising how competitive the Scots are against the English. I still live in Edinburgh so I see that every day. It’s a huge game.

“We know it means a lot to Scotland and it means a hell of a lot to us as an England team. The rivalry is going to be keen.”

That competition was brought home to Cockerill when he lost a bet and had to wear a Scotland hat following the Dark Blues’ 2018 win over England at Murrayfield.

Asked if that had been a painful experience, Cockerill replied: “Yes, very! It was all in good humour.”

Advertisement

‘Scrum hasn’t been good enough’

Cockerill is the last surviving member of Eddie Jones’ staff still involved in an England backroom set-up now led by new head coach Steve Borthwick.

Jones was sacked after a November campaign that capped England’s worst year since 2008, with Cockerill clear on where the team had to get better.

“Our scrum hasn’t been good enough and that’s something we need to improve,” he said.

“Our set-piece parts have to be a lot better if we’re going to compete at this level and win games at this level.”

Advertisement

Veteran prop Dan Cole, 35 will be on England’s bench on Saturday after being recalled to the Test set-up for the first time since the 2019 World Cup.

Cole, asked why he had been recalled, jokingly replied: “Probably my goal-kicking, charm, good looks.”

But on a serious note, the 95-times capped Cole added: “I think England want to play a certain way with Steve — set-piece and I think he thinks I’ve something to offer in that part of the game.” 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © GLOBAL TIMES PAKISTAN